MTC and the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) have finalized their joint state and federal priorities for the 2023 legislative session. MTC/ABAG staff advocate for the Bay Area’s priorities in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., and the 2023 MTC/ABAG Joint Advocacy Program will guide their work for the year.
Some of the high-level housing, transportation and environmental themes for federal and state-focused advocacy in 2023 include support for:
- Securing state resources to shore up the financial solvency of Bay Area transit operators at risk of falling over a post-pandemic fiscal cliff, while also ensuring resources are available to deliver high-priority, customer-focused benefits to attract new riders
- State legislation to ensure the Bay Area Housing Finance Authority (BAHFA) can effectively finance affordable housing, as well as support affordable housing preservation and tenant protections
- Advancing the Bay Area Infrastructure Grants Strategy to help ensure the Bay Area competes well for the more than $100 billion in federal transportation grant funds made available through the 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Law
- Solutions to the Bay Area housing crisis and policies that enable BAHFA to work effectively on the “3 Ps” – housing production, preservation and protection
- Funding for the implementation of Plan Bay Area 2050 and ensuring that the state and federal transportation and housing policies are consistent with Plan Bay Area 2050’s vision for an affordable, connected, diverse, healthy and vibrant Bay Area
Learn more about MTC’s state and federal advocacy work.
Submit your comment
In order to receive a reply to your comment, please provide an email address.