The SFMTA is continuing work on a second phase of infrastructure improvements along the L Taraval corridor between Sunset Boulevard and West Portal. The work is scheduled to be completed next year.
Taraval Street, a high-injury corridor with a ridership of 30,000 trips daily, is a Vision Zero priority. The corridor is getting improvements to the aging infrastructure to make pedestrian crossing safer, while increasing accessibility, improving transit reliability and rehabilitating water and sewer infrastructure.
Project improvements include:
- Transit priority traffic signals for more efficient and time saving Muni trips
- Sidewalk bulbouts for safer pedestrian crossing and higher visibility
- Enhanced sidewalks to draw visibility to pedestrian crossing at intersections
- Safety boarding islands for safer boarding of Muni L Taraval riders
- Streetscape style elements including trees, decorative crosswalks, trackway accent colors and public art
The Plan B segment of work is taking place between Sunset Boulevard and West Portal. The first phase of construction, Segment A (between Sunset Boulevard and 46th Avenue), was completed in July 2021.